Monday, June 11, 2007

A blog from Blake











Myspace is not evil, neither are blogs, I just don’t like them, but my wife wanted me to put a few comments on Spain and NASA so I will...only because she is beautiful and I love her.

So, most of these pictures are landscape and cathedrals. The main cathedral in Zaragoza (tharagoza) has been rebuilt on top of itself over the generations. Spain was inhabited by Muslims, Jewish, and Romans so you can see the influence with the round top domes and the Star of David everywhere. All in all the city of Zaragoza is full of history and culture; there is just about any type of food you could want and a different take on the history depending on who you ask. The reason I was there: NASA. Zaragoza is a TAL (Trans-Atlantic landing) site for the shuttles. There are three of them, Istres France and Moron Spain as well. Basically, if in the first 30 seconds, the crew feels something is wrong they will abort and land at one of the three sites. They also have the option of an AOA (abort, once around) recovery which is pretty much what it sounds like; one orbit around the planet and return to the Cape. My job there was to launch balloons, this way the astronauts know what the upper-air is like. When they come in, they are pretty much falling and their minimums are crazy compared to other aircraft. The smallest things such as light drizzle or a 10knot tail wind can restrict them from landing. Overall, NASA missions are wait wait wait...rush! But totally fun.

5 comments:

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥ said...

How fun! I really like your blog...even though you think they are evil!!!

YOU are TOTALLY sweet! I love your beautiful comment of Becky...I agree!

So....did you find any cool Spanish outfits that looked cute???
:)

I appreciate your blogging and description!

Love you both!

Amy S. Trosen said...

What a great glimpse into your work life and I love the pictures. I am going to copy a couple onto my computer. Love you! Mother

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥ said...

p.s. that is a HUGE balloon!

I think Mother blogged at the exact moment I did!!

How fun!

Amy S. Trosen said...

I think Jessica and I blogged at the exact same moment. How weird! Mother

Amy said...

Thanks for the blog, Blake! My husband happens to feel the same about blogs / Myspace. He says he's just not into "social networking." Apparently I am. Ha ha! I love your pictures. That fountain is just amazing. The history over there seems so interesting. I should study about it... Glad you made it home safely!