Sunday, May 6, 2007

Holland


Kimberly, Jason and I went to Holland yesterday. It was so much fun! We got up and left at 1:30 in the morning yesterday and got back around midnight last night, so it was a full 24 hour trip. We booked it through a local travel company, so we rode a bus and had a tour guide. It was about a 5 hour bus ride, not too bad. We first stopped at a bed and breakfast farm type place. We got breakfast there which was delicious. We had tons of different cheeses and ham, yummy dutch coffee, and most people tried the milk. I wasn't really wanting milk just freshly milked from a cow, but Kimberly said it was super yummy. They (the owners of the farm) took us through thier wooden shoe making factory. The man showed us how they make them and gave us a breif history on the different kinds shoes. They have the rounded toe shoes which were for the protestants and the pointy toe shoes that were for catholics. They have wedding clogs and farm clogs. Basically, they have clogs for everything. Next they took us through the cheese making process. I've discovered I love gouda cheese! The process didn't really gross me out as it did some people. I do, however, wonder why little miss muffet ate curds and whey. The lady showed us what curds and whey look like. That's a little gross. Our next stop was Keukenhof. This is the huge (and famous) tulip garden. It was amazing! There was a working windmill there that we culd go up into and look around. We spent a couple of hours walking around and looking at the millions of flowers they have there. We didn't see everything, and we were there for three hours. Our last stop for the day was Pier Sheveningen. It's on the North Sea. This was beautiful. Holland is like Germany in the fact that it's super clean. The beach front was gorgeous. They have hotels and shops and resturaunts. We went to an aquarium, which was fun. The dutch language has a lot of english-y words in it, so it was pretty easy to understand a lot of the people. All in all, it was a wonderful trip. It was nice to get back home to Blake. He wasn't able to come with us because he had to work. I'm defentily going to plan a trip for Blake and I up there. It was beautiful!























5 comments:

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥ said...

How absolutely facinating! Thanks for putting the pictures for me to see! You've been to Holland...that's a statement! I am glad that you have been able to do fun things now that you live over there!!!

The flowers are amazing! Actually everything is! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the little wooden shoes! You look good in them!! :)

I love you! I called you, but I am now thinking you were gone on your trip! I'll try again...maybe today!

Love you!

Karen said...

What fun Becky! Reading your post is almost like being there! (almost!) Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Amy said...

My favorite pic is the one of you with the giant shoes on. It is so cute! The flowers are absolutely gorgeous. When we went to Vennard we went to Tulip Time in a town called Pella. It is kind of like a little Holland. The buildings there have to be built a certain way and everything to keep with the theme of the town. It is a cute town but I'm sure not as awesome as it would be to visit the real Holland. I had a really weird dream about visiting Germany the other day. I can't remember all of it now, but I just remember that it was weird. Ha ha! Love you lots!

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥ said...

I think we should plan our trip together and go in a couple years!!! How fun!

I also especially like you in the huge shoes! You look cute!

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥ said...

Ok, so we totally got our package from you today! I LOVE LOVE LOVE The little wooden Holland clogs! The girls also love their pencils! They BOTH declared that they've ALWAYS wanted a huge pencil to write with, and now schoolwork will go SO much better!

Thanks!

I also sent your package out to you today. I got it in the mail yesterday. I had to fill out quite a customs report before they would get it ready to go! Wow!
Anyhow, you should get it soon.

I love you!